Ikajuriallattiit Restorative Justice Committee (IRJC)
IRJC provides a restorative justice alternative to the court system for resolving disputes involving offenders and offences deemed appropriate for diversion but the Crown and the Ottawa Police Service. To achieve this objective, the Committee is tasked with the following:
- • Develop, implement and evaluate TI’s restorative justice program to ensure current relevant practices are maintained;
- • Advocate, educate and raise awareness of restorative justice initiatives as legitimate alternatives to criminal justice sentencing outcomes;
- • Maintain a safe environment for victims, offenders and community and facilitate the efforts of repairing the harms resulting from a crime and restore harmony for all involved;
- • Foster healing and wellness for victims, offenders and community, based on the 8 guiding principles of Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit;
- • Foster involvement, empowerment, accountability, equality and resiliency of all parties affected by crime.